I have been subscribing to burdastyle magazine for almost a year now. The initial set up was a little difficult to do but getting the beautiful magazines each month is so worth it. Up until now I have not made a single thing from these magazines. I love looking at the pictures and the patterns and the wardrobe ideas and combinations.
Every couple of weeks burdastyle online release the patterns from the magazine for purchase as a download. Each pattern is about $5.40, I am not sure how much the annual subscription costs me. It renews around my birthday and I just pay the Euro and treat is as a gift.
With a need for some new work tops I went to my burdastyle magazines instead of the usual sewing patterns.com search.
I found four tops that I liked.
The patterns number are done by issue of the magazine 07/2012 and the pattern number #122.
And for once I even prewashed my fabrics.
I really wanted this pattern to be great, but it is a bit … meh. The pattern has two versions. Realistically it is the same pattern. For a woven the pieces are cut on the grain and for knits they are cut on the bias.
I made it first in a bright green lawn from my stash (it didn’t get sold a fabric-a-brac). I cut the pieces on grain. The neckline is just funny. I guess it hanging off to the side is supposed to be a design feature but I just don’t like it. It is also a little small though the hips.
The arms look funky and stick out because I should have stabilised them first before sewing the hems but didn’t. I won’t be wearing this shirt.
Really wanting to make this pattern work I tried again with a little more success.
I modified the pattern pieces to include a curved waist and a slightly wider front and back (probably the same as going up a size). This time I used a chiffon and cut the fabric on the bias which made the cowl neck drape so much better.
But because it was on the bias the fabric was a little “stretchier” so my pattern alterations were totally unnecessary. In fact the back turned out too big and had to reduce the amount of fabric with a centre seam. Because it was cut on the bias the seam gathers the fabric a little and doesn’t look great.
If I were to attempt this pattern again I would definitely use chiffon again. Cut the front on the bias but leave the back on the grain and use the original pattern pieces.
Finishing the hems and neck line I used a technique from my fabric-a-brac dress. You fold the hem over and sew it near the fold with a small zig zag. then with a pair of very sharp scissors trim the excess fabric.
I think it is a really nice finish. Especially if you can’t be bothered changing the thread and settings on the overlocker to make a rolled hem.
This shirt won’t get worn to work but may look great over my swimmers with my denim shorts on the way to the pool.