There were 3 projects offered in the first week of class which focused on reverse applique. They were embellishing a T-shirt, making a small felt needle book and a dogwood blossom quilt block.
I decided against the T-shirt project. The techniques she used were straight from Alabama Chanin. I decided to make a book cover from the Alabama stitch book instead of the t-shirt.
Thanks to Sheridan’s workshop on how to stencil print in Canberra, I stenciled a simple paisley flower shape onto fabric so the design would be on the front and back.
I layered the fabric and stitched around the design. I then cut out the centre leaving the white underneath. The white is a little too high contrast for me and a dark cream or tan colour may have been better.
The felt needle book was fun to make. It seemed to be a little bit floppy for my liking folded in half. I decided to make mine fold into thirds to ensure the contents were a little more secure. Maybe some interfacing in the lining would have been a good idea too. I like this book but not as much as the ones that I made for the sample swap!
I managed to get the stitching on the dogwood blossom quilt block done in Canberra (well mainly on the flight home!). It is totally because of Sherdian that I got this done at all. Having her tell me what to do and how to do it made a huge difference.
I added the borders and now it is waiting the next step. This cream border is going to be embroidered!
I am making this into a quilt for my 7 year old who is all about pink. I do have the purple fabrics in the range too but maybe an all pink quilt might be the way to go.